making a polished release (Re: when hoary final will be released?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 6 16:00:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:23:00PM +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:

> I'm curious about what this release really means! Does it mean that bugs
> will no longer be fixed except for security related issues? Or does it
> just mean new features, or versions of packages with new features will
> not be added to the distro?

The release process is documented on the website; stable releases receive
security and high-impact bugfixes only.

This does not mean that other bugs will not be fixed; it means that they
will be fixed in the development branch, not in the stable release.

> Having said that, a policy of no release until all bugs have been fixed
> means you will never release anything stable. This is what has plagued
> the Debian distro so far as I can see.

There are many reasons for Debian's situation, but yes, it is
well-established that no non-trivial piece of software (much less a huge
collection of non-trivial pieces of software) will ever be bug-free.

--
 - mdz