everyday multimedia not supported in Ubuntu (Re: 3 days from the release, 3 machines, a few issues.

Philippe Landau lists at mailry.net
Wed Apr 6 10:35:38 UTC 2005

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>>This is all unsupported software from universe/multiverse, so it isn't
>>>relevant to the release.  Feel free to file bugs in Malone though.
>>in other words: the multimedia that most users want to use will often not
>>work and there will be no sound, but that is not relevant because Ubuntu
>>does not support it :-) if Canonical told this new users upfront, that
>>would be more honest.
> The components of Ubuntu are quite clearly explained on the website,
> including their support status.  If there is some way that you feel
> this could be made more clear, let us know.
the problems with multimedia should be mentioned on the front page
until there is an easy way for everybody to resolve them,
like a post install script provided by plf-ubuntu.

> There is also extensive information about the complex issues which bear on
> multimedia support; I see no need to elaborate here.
even professional offers for help were never taken up here.
ubuntu power brokers tend to drop the ball when it becomes hot.

kind regards     philippe