resizing windows

audriusb at homelan.lt audriusb at homelan.lt
Wed Apr 6 05:06:03 UTC 2005

Quoting R Kimber <rkimber at ntlworld.com>:

> Is the a simple way of re-sizing a window that opens larger than the
> visible height of the desktop, without removing the two gnome panels?
> I.e., how do I grab the bottom of a window when I can't see it?
>
> Presumably removing the panels is a solution, but there must be
> something less disruptive.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Richard Kimber
> http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Standard installation on computers with nVidia cards generates virtual desktop
(large than physical one). All what you need is to reconfigure X-server:
    1) click Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login into textual console (click on Ctrl+Alt+F7 to
back into graphics),
    2) enter root mode with command: sudo su -
    3) stop gdm with command: invoke-rc.d gdm stop
    4) reconfigure X with command: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (xserver if you
are working with Warty)
    5) start graphics again: invoke-rc.d gdm start