getting lirc working

macta ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Apr 5 15:54:15 UTC 2005

I can confirm that on Ubuntu Hoary Release Candidate those steps work.

Although - I had already tried compiling the lirc source from the LIRC
website first (which hadn't worked) and so then tried doing the steps I
described earlier (so not a clean environment).

I did have a go at puttin this in a script (not with me at the moment)
which I could upload.

I have a hunch you don't have to do the apt-get stuff for lirc first,
however you do need to apt-get the source-headers (and it seems there
are two packages and you need both). Additionaly you do need to create
a linux link in /usr/src that points to the headers you downloaded with
apt-get. Then you can download source from lirc and it should work (I
used the debian/rules approach described in the readme).

As I said above - I had messed around a bit first, so I did do the
apt-get lirc first - so I can't actually confirm you don't need to do
this.

Hope this helps others (as Zachs original post save me much further
frustration - thanks!)

Tim

--
macta