How to upgrade from warty to hoary...

skoal ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Apr 5 14:22:48 UTC 2005

I'm upgrading to Hoary with Synaptic now.  I started the download last
nite and went to bed.  In my dreams last nite, I envisioned sweet sweet
200 KB/s downloads, fluffy white clouds, and rolling green meadows of 3
people holding hands in a circle and dancing.  I woke up, rolled out of
bed, my kneecaps fired off a few firecracker rounds, turned on my
monitor, and I'm only halfway done downloading.  Oops! I felt like
rolling back under my warm spongebob blanket...

A few questions:

1. I only changed 'warty' to 'hoary' in 1 place though, the main
repository.  That's what a wiki entry told me.  Any problem with that?

2. If I added more 'hoary' repository mirrors, would my download speeds
be faster?  I actually get 250+KB/s downloads on average with my 'pipe'
to the internet.

3. What if I 'cancel' the upgrade in Synaptic before it's done.  Will I
have to start all over again or will it resume from where it left off?

4. I did -not- pick the 'download packages only' option.  If I did, how
do I install/upgrade those packages later?  I think I read somewhere in
these forums you need another tool for that?

5. Scrolling back through the package list in Synaptic, I see that
'linux-kernel-headers-999...' failed.  It's the only package that my
NIC puked back so far.  What's going to happen, and what do I need to
do?

Much obliged.

--
skoal