kde problems in hoary after upgrade

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 03:06:46 UTC 2005

Okay I seem to have found the kulprit, though I can't explain it and I
don't know how to solve it.  Maybe somebody smarter/wiser can provide
insight.

The problem seems to be the line:
Option "RenderAccel" "1", to enable hardware acceleration (I believe
for mpeg2 decoding).  When it is present I can boot into X find, but I
cannot log into KDE, nor can I start up most qt apps (anecdotal
evidence only) from another WM.  gtk apps run fine.  When I remove the
RenderAccel option, everything is fine.

What I don't know:
(1) why this worked fine before upgrading several packages last night
but not now
(2) why this seems (anectdotally) to affect qt apps but not gtk
(gnome) apps, even when run from neither kde nor gnome.
(3) What to do to fix it.

I'm running K7 cpu with nforce2, onboard nvidia graphics (~gf 4 mx),
nvidia proprietary drivers--latest available in repository (7167?).

One thing I did notice, is that according do apt the nvidia-glx
package is version 1.0.7167, consistent with the latest version of
nvidia's proprietary drivers-7167.  but the nvidia-kernel-common
package is versioned 1.0.6629, consistent with nvidia's previous
driver version, 6629.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

On Apr 1, 2005 12:44 PM, ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com >