temperature

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Fri Apr 1 16:26:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:10:22AM -0400, Steve Haines wrote:

> >Supposedly one can do this with lm-sensors, but I haven't been able to
> >get that to work correctly with any recent kernels.  You can also get
> >voltage, temperature and fan speed data using mbmon, but the numbers
> >sometimes look strange (on one of my computers it shows 201 deg C and
> >if that was true I suspect it would have failed long ago).
> >

> I have the temperatures, fan speeds, voltages, etc. working right now on
> Ubuntu (they also work in Mepis and Libranet). My hardware is very
> pedestrian: an Athlon K7 at 950 Mhz on an otherwise unnamed motherboard.
> The BIOS is pre 1998. The kernel is the default 2.6.8-i386.
>
> The back end of the measuring is done by lm-sensors. Install it, and run
> "sensors-detect" in a terminal. "man sensors-detect" for more info.
> There is also a very informative website for lm-sensors. I just followed
> the dialog script and accepted the defaults. Eventually you will be
> given a choice to write the suggested module changes into /etc/modules.
> I accepted the option, rebooted, and the modules loaded fine.

I've done all that and it still doesn't work for me.  I have a MSI K7T
Turbo2 MB with an AthlonXP2000+ CPU.  Sensors-detect said to install
i2c-viapro, i2c-isa, eeprom and Via686a to /etc/modules.  I did so and
only get the following response when running sensors (which has nothing
to do with any of the above modules):

Thomson DDT 7610 ATSC-i2c-0-61
Adapter: cx8800[0]

Those are both related to my pchdtv-3000 television tuner card.

Bob