Problems setting up a simple ftp-server

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:28:30 UTC 2005

Probably don't need to mention this, but I'll say it anyway.  Be very
careful setting up ftp especially if this is an internet facing
server.  If you absolutely must enable ftp, the best way to do it is
to chroot it.  Then enable anonymous ftp only.  Be sure to have
seperate upload and download directories, with the upload being
write-only, and the download directory being read only.  Then manually
transfer contents of the updload directory to the download directory
only after you have carefully screened everything.  You don't want to
risk becomming a warez site or worse.

A better solution, is all your users are on linux or other unix, would
be to sftp instead.  This uses the ssh-server (may require simple
install with apt).  Setup is absolutely mindless.  Literally as easy
as installing the ssh server with apt.  Entire session, including
username/pw exchange is encrypted.  User accounts are what ever users
are configured on your system.  Each user's local filesystem
permissions apply.  Any user with an ssh client (again any linux/unix
user for sure) can connect.  Easy as sftp username at host.domain.com.
All the standard ftp commands work: get, put, mget, mput, ls, cd, lls,
lcd, etc.  Definitely easier than configuring ftp, and way easier than
configuring ftp securely.

Here's an informative article for more info:
http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/02/02/1254222&tid=89

Sorry this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I hope it helps, anyway.

Good luck
Zach