apt-get vs. Ubuntu Update Manager

Niran Babalola iamniran at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 07:35:31 UTC 2005

> Synaptic has the option smart-upgrade which uses dist-upgrade. I don't
> know about upgrade-manager but I guess it's using dist-upgrade too.

Upgrade-manager does a normal upgrade as far as I can tell. When
there's an issue that only a dist-upgrade would solve (e.g. an updated
package has additional dependencies), it pops up a message telling you
about it and suggesting that you do a smart upgrade in synaptic.

If you're using "smart upgrade" or dist-upgrade all the time, make
sure you're reading the warnings apt or synaptic throw at you.
Personally, I think it's best to use a normal upgrade until you notice
that certain packages are being held back. When that happens, run a
dist/smart upgrade and look at the changes it's telling you it wants
to make. It's harder to make mistakes that way.

- Niran