Processor optimisation (Re: Ubuntu & Debian packages)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Thu Sep 30 20:05:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 10:26:52PM +0300, Riku Nurkka wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 04:05, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Note that my network gateway is an i486-class embedded system They are
> > not as uncommon as you might think, when you consider that many Linux
> > systems are not desktops.
>
> Yea, I know. But I've understood that Ubuntu is mainly a GNOME-based
> _desktop_ system, not really meant for servers or gateways. Other
> distributions are better for gateways. Shouldn't Ubuntu try find its own
> market and stay there - and leave the difficult mission of trying to
> fulfill all possible other OS needs to Debian proper...?

Certainly not; it's true that we have directed a great deal of attention
toward getting the desktop right, but Ubuntu is intended to be a solid
server platform as well.  I run it on my own servers, as does Canonical.

> Nice. When you get to that, why not also consider other possible means of
> making the system and software run faster. I mean things like prelinking,
> Con Kolivas performance patches etc.

It's entirely possible that a future release will have a broad goal of
improving performance, including testing and measuring various techniques
and implementing the best of them.

--
 - mdz