installation problem - grub hangs

Frank Lynch frank.lynch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 17:20:29 UTC 2004

Hi Folks,
I just gave ubuntu a try. Downloaded the iso, burned a CD, poped it in
and started the installation process. All appeared to be going well,
it formatted the disk installed the ubuntu base system, then it wanted
to reboot the system. Upon reboot the system failed to come up. I
simply get a blank screen with the text "GURB" and a blinking cursor.
I am not able to input anything.. it appears that the boot loader is
hosed... Has anyone encountered anything like this before? Any ideas
as to how I can workaround or fix this?
Is it possible to use lilo in place of Grub?
thanks,
--Frank