Call for testers: Windows boot problems after installing

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Thu Sep 30 14:18:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 11:02:17AM -0300, Mariano Loza wrote:
> 1- Ubuntu sets clock on UTC, so when i went back to XP, or Sarge,
> changed the system clock. This was already fixed tweaking the rcS
> file. But maybe it would be better to let the user to choose how to
> set the clock on the install process.

On the to-do list.

> 2- Althoug I used partitions previously made with kernel 2.4, knowing
> that k 2.6 has problems with parted, something changed in the
> geometry. I am able to boot with XP, but Partition Magic reports the
> famous 116 error, and  flags Disk 1 as "bad". Even when my bios is set
> to LBA...

That is exactly the problem we are trying to fix. Could you please
follow the directions at http://lwn.net/Articles/86835/ to repair your
Windows XP installation, and then try installing with the CD image at
http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~cjwatson/warty-i386-new-parted.iso? We
need your feedback to fix this problem.

Thanks,

--