The continuing saga of my USB memory key

Nick Mirkovich nickm1 at zoominternet.net
Thu Sep 30 13:03:45 UTC 2004

	First of all, there is some conflicting opinions on how wise it is to
mess with /mnt. IMO, you shouldn't go that way. Leave /mnt alone and
create a new mount point elsewhere keeping in mind that unless it's in
your home directory, you'll have to be root to create the new mount
point. Make sure you set permissions accordingly to allow non-root users
the appropriate privileges to the mount point.
	The fstype, or -t flag, ought to be vfat not fat, at least this true in
a straight Debian system.
	Here is an example from my /etc/fstab where I created to mount for my
USB flash drive:

/dev/sdb1       /fdrv           vfat    rw,user,noauto          0
0

In my case, the USB drive is /dev/sdb1 and the mount point is /fdrv.

Hope this helps,
Nick