Jim Cheetham jim at
Thu Sep 30 09:16:35 UTC 2004

Even XP, eh? Under XP there are services listening to the network that
you are basically unable to switch off, unless you use a firewall.

With Ubuntu, there are absolutely no services listening on the network.
There is nothing for a firewall to do, because all attempted
connections will already fail (yes, for the pedants, there are still
some (useful?) things that a firewall can do under those

Of course, there is a firewall present, and you can manipulate it with
the 'iptables' command - try 'sudo iptables -L' to see that it's
present. By default there are no rules configured, but it is present.
Maurice asked about other ways to manipulate the firewall - there are
some programs available in 'universe', such as 'firehol', that will
help you construct iptables rules.