Ubuntu - a Walk in the Park (was Problems after using UBUNTU for about 13 Days...)

Karsten Fischer kfischer at bfki.net
Wed Sep 29 11:04:00 UTC 2004

Am 29.09.2004 um 11:56 schrieb Benjamin Edwards:

> I totally agree about the documentation side of things and would be
> willing to help out.  Documentation, especially for non-technical
> people, seems to be a general short falling im Linux.
>
> I think one of the keys to this is good on-line authoring tools.  Wiki
> is great but lacks structure/has the topology of assembly language.  I
> have been working for a while on structured CMS solutions and think
> this is the way to go.  What I would like to see is stuff like a FAQ
> module written for something like zoops, myphpwebsite or the cms used
> for Ubuntu.

Don't know if I get you right - but then I never thought about using an
on-line tool. See, I just finished a screenplay I was writing for some
time, so I thought of using something like OpenOffice for writing and
then some magic to convert the documents to an more appropriate format.
After writing some 120.000 words, things like spellchecking is to be
regarded as god-sent :)
Perhaps it might be possible to combine both of it, I gather that OO is
using XML for storing its contents, so it should be possible to use
that?

> Some of my inspiration for this comes from a book (not sure if it is
> still in print) called 'Red Hat Linux for Small Business'.  This book
> was task based (i.e. setting up a mailserver) and was pragmatic rather
> than technical.  In other words it gave you just enough technical info
> so you knew what you wanted to do for the task in hand and avoided
> asking you to read 3 other technical documents.  This type of
> documentation may involve repetition but having everything in a walk
> through type document is very good for non-technical/newbees.

Yes, indeed. It could also be linked to the technical documentation if
someone wants to dig deeper - after all, the documentation is
available.

> I recently had what could only be described as an argument with
> someone on a Linux list.  There comment 'Linux is not meant to be a
> walk in the park' sums up the attitude of a lot of the Linux
> community.  I muted that 'Walk in the Park' was a good name for a
> distribution and they thought this was a very bad idea.  In fact  it
> seems Ubuntu is becoming the 'Walk in the Park' distribution ;).
>
> It all ended up with me saying:-
>
> "It is my belief that the main barrier to Linux becoming more widely
> used is the belief by techies that computers should be difficult to
> use and that strait-forward and easy are uncool ;-)."

> Strangely enough it all went quiet after that and I did not get a lift
> to the next lug meeting, they do strangely however seem quite
> interested in Ubuntu.

There may be a grain of truth in that. Taking pride in mastering the
unknown depths of Linux - and making sure it remains that way. But I
guess there are definitely more people out there who just want to use
their machine, regardless of its OS.