Sounder CD 9

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Wed Sep 29 02:37:41 UTC 2004

Those of you who've joined us since the Warty preview release may not
have encountered the Sounder CD series. These are milestone CD images
that we release once every two weeks or so, as images that are known to
be reasonably free of showstopper CD-build or installer bugs (although
of course there may still be bugs!), while representing very current
snapshots of Warty. Before the preview release we took eight such
snapshots, and Sounder CD 9 is now ready. You can download it here:

  http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/cdimage/sounder-test/8/
  rsync://archive.ubuntulinux.org/cdimage/sounder-test/8/

See http://wiki.ubuntulinux.org/WartyWarthog/Archive for access
instructions. I recommend rsync if possible, as you can then download
future images based on this one to save bandwidth.

Since people who haven't been installing from daily CD images won't have
seen these, the main installer improvements in this release are as
follows:

  * Keyboard detection fixes for amd64 and for Belgian keymaps.

  * Keymap question restored, since non-default keyboards are quite a
    common case.

  * Hardware detection improvements: SATA NVIDIA chipsets; multiple
    Macintosh improvements; SiS and Via video card changes; sym53c8xx
    fixes; plus several merges from Debian.

  * Fix case where / is on SCSI but other IDE disks are present.

  * Base system changes: new ubuntu-base package, empty for now, but
    will grow to contain Ubuntu-specific tools and infrastructure;
    binutils and ksymoops gone.

  * Support for Compaq SmartArray disks.

  * Propagate parameters passed to the kernel at the initial install's
    boot: prompt through to the installed bootloader configuration.

  * 2GB RAM limit in grub fixed.

  * Entries for 'universe' in default /etc/apt/sources.list improved.

  * PPP question in second stage install dropped; we intend to improve
    the desktop PPP configuration tools instead.

  * Multiple improvements to X resolution probing for some of the
    strange monitors people have. :-)

Of course, there have been lots of other changes in Warty, which many
people will have already picked up by upgrading their system from the
network. I won't go into all of them here - in fact, Warty development
is fast enough that I can't always keep track of all of them! - but if
you're interested, have a look at the warty-changes list:

A late-breaking erratum is that xresprobe seems to hang systems with Via
chipsets on installation. If you have one of these, you might want to
wait for a new daily build with the fix. One of the Ubuntu developers
will follow up to this thread when a working daily is available again.

Bug reports should go here:

  http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/

Enjoy,

--