Errors during update ( repository down ? )

Daniel Saunders daniel.saunders at csiro.au
Wed Sep 29 03:55:46 UTC 2004

Vivek Bhanuprakash <vivek.bhanuprakash <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> For the past few days, I keep getting errors when executing a 'Reload'
> from Synaptic. Any solution ?
>
> The error messages are
>
> 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/warty/main/source/Sources.gz:
> Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)"
>
> "Duplicate sources.list entry http://archive.ubuntu.com warty/main
> Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_warty_main_
binary-i386_Packages)"

> "Duplicate sources.list entry http://archive.ubuntu.com
> warty/restricted Packages
>
>(/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_warty_restricted_
binary-i386_Packages)"
<SNIP>
Nope - You need to commend the second and third lines of your sources.list.  If
you have a look at them they reference exactly the same repository, except the
second time they appear they also look in the 'universe' section.

I had the same problem last night after my painless (!) install.

An 'apt-get update' should run with no errors now.

Daniel