mp3 does not sounds :(

Thomas Beckett Thomas.Beckett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 22:48:39 UTC 2004

Well I had the same problem. Turns out my onboard sound chip was
confgured as my first sound card, not my sound blaster. To solve it I
simply dissabled my onboard sound and it worked fine.
if that doesnt apply to you I imagine it could be down to a device
problem, try looking if the kernel module for your sound card loads
ok:

dmesg | grep <name of sound card module>

so for my soundblaster live (emu10k1 module) i would type:

"dmesg | grep emu*"

at a command line

if there apears to be no errors for it then maybe check where
/dev/audio or /dev/dsp are linked to:

"ls -l /dev/audio*"
"ls -l /dev/dsp*"

if nothing seems wrong there then check the options / preferences of
each program to see which device they are using to play. I have just
looked through rhythmbox and can see no imidiate way to find what it
uses though.

if no luck there then ... im all out of ideas! im not too experienced
on the config side of linux myself. hope it at least gives you
somewhere to look

Tom