which ISO for a system with SATA drives?

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Tue Sep 28 11:55:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:32:29PM -0400, volvoguy wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:06:42 +0100, Colin Watson <cjwatson at canonical.com> wrote:
> > If you run into an installation problem, you may well need the newer
> > ISO; otherwise, the former approach is fine, although we'll start
> > recommending that people use "Sounder CD 9" once we release that
> > milestone.
> Gotcha. I'm going with Warty!

They're all Warty. :-) I assume you mean the Warty preview release,

> > That's what rsync is for. :-)
> You know.... I keep meaning on looking up how to use rsync. Are you
> saying that rsync can replace the updated parts WITHIN the ISO image I
> already downloaded?! That would be pretty darn cool. :)

Yep. My standard invocation is like this:

  rsync -avzP archive.ubuntulinux.org::cdimage/daily/current/warty-i386.iso ./warty-i386.iso

That updates ./warty-i386.iso with whatever's currently in the archive,
while not bothering to download parts it's already seen. It's rather

Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]