Debian apt sources vs. Ubuntu apt sources

Benjamin Edwards bedwards at rnli.org.uk
Tue Sep 28 10:08:53 UTC 2004

There are some 'extra' packages for debian at http://gda.utp.edu.co/pub/debian/ which have mplayer.  I wouldn't recommend them but managed to get mplayer working using apt and without any compiling using them.

On 27.09.2004 15:44, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>> There should be no Debian repositories in sources.list because of
>> version mismatch.
>> A debian package could have a newer version number and so apt will
>> update your Ubuntu package with the one from Debian and break things
>> with other packages from Ubuntu.
>> So maybe it works, maybe you can break your system.
>> You have to know what you do.
>> On the other side if you have problems with such a mixed system you
>> have no chance to get bug-support by Ubuntu and Debian. Both sides
>> will tell you that you should not install a mixed system.
>>
>> What do you need from Debian which is not in Ubuntu?
>

> Well, for some things you *have* to do it currently AFAIK
>
> ...mplayer e.g.

That's not an Debian repository.
And you need not to add the marillat repository to sources.list.
Download the needed packages and install them with dpkg -i ...

cu