Problem with automounter

Paul Sladen sounder at paul.sladen.org
Mon Sep 27 18:42:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> When I plug in a USB flash drive, it automatically mounts as /media/sda1
> and a Nautilus window pops up showing the contents of the drive. Even
> after closing the window, the drive cannot be unmounted, not even by
> root; it just says device busy.

Could you try and track down what's keeping it open (is there a file that is
still in use by one of the running applications?)  You might be able to find
this out by running the following from a terminal:

  $ sudo lsof /media/sda1

In Ubuntu, device like USB sticks are mounted synchronously (with the 'sync'
option), so you'll be fairly safe just pulling it out if there are no lights
blinking on the device.

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  London, GB