Skype is not free software

William Anderson william.anderson at lumison.net
Mon Sep 27 17:30:59 UTC 2004

Benjamin Edwards wrote:
> 'gratis software' as opposed to 'free software' or 'open source
> software' - I kind of like this as succinct way of making the distinction.

when using "gratis", the distinction isn't made clear.  Free Software
means it can be freely (re-)distributed, freely used, freely modified,
etc.  Simply defining it as 'not free of charge' fails to suitably cover
  'non-free', as non-free software exists which is certainly not Free,
where Free means unencumbered by capability to redistribute and/or
modify freely, but is certainly free of cost or charge.

Think about the nVidia drivers - they cost nothing to download, but you
are encumbered by the licence nVidia releases them under, and you have
no source to recompile / modify / tweak / etc.  Those drivers are free
of charge, but not Free as in libre.

--
William Anderson
Lumison