[OT] What Does "/etc" Stand For and Why?

Benjamin Edwards bedwards at rnli.org.uk
Mon Sep 27 14:36:11 UTC 2004

Off the top of my head var is for data rather than configuration (configuration being specifically to do with technical setup and data being application data).  The reason it is a very broad name is because to future proof the structure you need a directory that can have anything that douse not fit in the other directories.  Maybe /other would of been a better alternative.

Ben

On Monday 27 September 2004 at 11:03+0100, Benjamin Edwards wrote:

> etcetera

Thanks for the response. Do you know _why_ it stands for "et cetera"? I mean they could have used "/etc" for the name of the "/var" directory just as easily. Why didn't they name it "/cfg" for config or "/prf" for preferences? The question really is, if "/etc" really means "et cetera", why did they choose such a generic name for a directory in which very specific things go?

Thanks,
Brett