Vmware keep asking to reconfigure (SOLVED)

flubie fluberman72 at wanadoo.nl
Mon Sep 27 12:16:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 12:15 +0100, Daniel Silverstone wrote:

> flubie wrote:
> > Any tips ?
>
> The issue is that the vmware modules don't create sysfs entries so udev
> doesn't pick them up and create device nodes.
>
> In /etc/udev there is a file called links.conf
>
> The form...
>
> M node fooargs
>
> ...in links.conf transforms into...
>
> mknod --mode=600 /dev/$node $fooargs
>
> ... in the udev init script
>

> That of course forces the nodes to be mode 0600 (-rw-------) but you can
> almost certainly do something with that.
>
> D.

Thanks for your response. I just realized that the problem lies on
udevfs. I searched in google and found the following tricks from
http://www.braincells.com/debian/2004/05/

1.  rm /etc/vmware/not_configured if it exists.
2.  copy the following code into /etc/init.d/vmware around line 805.
Just before where the case "$1" in start) line is.

        for a in `seq 0 9`; do
        mknod /dev/vmnet$a c 119 $a > /dev/null 2>&1
        done
        mknod /dev/vmmon c 10 165 > /dev/null 2>&1

3.  Now run /etc/init.d/vmware start and the program should work again.

It solved the problem... ;)

--

flubie
Registered linux user: #319538