printer setup, accessing localhost:631 ??

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at
Mon Sep 27 06:21:11 UTC 2004

Hi Maurice!

On 2004-09-27  1:52 -0400, Maurice F. Piller wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to configure my locally connected (parallel port) epson C80 printer
> to work with my ubuntu system.  What is correct setup procedure, is it possible
> to access admin functions from cups web page at localhost:631??

Not in the default installation; for security reasons we disabled the
administration functionality of the web interface (the printing
backend shall not be able to read passwords). The web pages should
have a red line of text stating that, didn't you see it? Please see
/usr/share/doc/cupsys/README.Debian.gz for details and how to reenable

> 6) Step 2 of 2: I am presented with a manufacturer/model/driver selection
> window.  Why do I get this option if my printer is detected?

This is indeed a major deficiency of the current printing system. Can
you file a bug about this, please?

> My printer model is not listed, which if any of the stylus, stylus
> color, new stylus color series, stylus color I, stylus color II
> models is the proper choice?

I don't know since I don't have this printer.
might help you.

Martin Pitt
Ubuntu Developer
Debian GNU/Linux Developer