PCI Wifi

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Sep 27 04:56:48 UTC 2004

Christopher D. Felton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if people are having success with PCI
> card wifi 802.11g.  I am going to look around for a
> wifi  card and definately want it to work with
> Ubuntu.  Any suggestions?

Choosing a supported 11g card for Linux is problematic, especially as
some vendors change the chipset without changing the product model or
desription, and the chipset is crucial.

I have a couple of Netcomm NP5420 cards that work well with prism54
drivers (see prism54).

These cards are also called something else:
http://www.allnet.de/bilder/pictures/high/ALL0271_high.jpg

Some dlink cards work, but avoid models with + in their names. There's a
page on dlink.com telling what works with what. You don't especially
want one using ndiswrapper which just wraps a standard Windows driver.
Anyone for Windows reliability?

Atheros chipsets apparently are fine, Don't bother with Ti or Broadcom
unless you want to be debugging code written for undocumented interfaces.

Unfortunately, Googling doesn't work well in this instance. See my first
para.