internet address, hostname, gnome login error

Maurice F. Piller piller at visi.net
Mon Sep 27 00:28:59 UTC 2004

Hi,
I had two network cards in my computer, eth0 and eth1, the ubuntu installation
setup the network using eth0 and all was fine.

I then replaced the eth0 network card with a new sound card (which is working
fine) and rebooted.

The machine tried to boot using the old eth0 card, I got a gnome login error
message that says it was unable to find an internet address and that gnome will
not function properly, perhaps the problem can be fixed by changing /etc/hosts
file.  The eth1 card does work.

My machine now has no hostname, and many of the Ubuntu applications fail to run
showing a failed to gethostbyname message.

I tried using the network-admin tool, deleting the network interface, then
adding a new network interface but the problem remains.

Short of a fresh install how can I get a fresh new network setup on my ubuntu
box?

Thanks,
Chip