How can I get apt to use a proxy?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Sep 26 20:17:22 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 02:59:08PM -0500, Martin Maney wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 12:02:02PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > daily CD in preparation for a new install, to avoid a big download later.
> > Using rsync to update an existing CD image is fairly painless, and saves
> > time later (when the system is unavailable).
>
> I don't see how that's a win.  It was only 170MB - that's a lot less
> than 540MB for the Cd image.

rsync only downloads the blocks which are different.

> What I personally would like best would be a base-system only "net
> install" image.  I haven't installed Debian any other way since before
> Woody was released aside from one or two special cases where there wasn't
> a decent net connection.  :-)

There is a mini-ISO which has only the installer on it, and no packages at
all.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/warty/main/daily-installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

It's about 5 megabytes.

> Or does the installer load *everything* from the CD if you don't take
> special measures to stop it?  It could be doing that - I'm at the "let
> it do it the way it wants to, mostly" stage.

The installer loads a complete desktop environment unless you say otherwise
(by choosing a 'custom' install at the initial boot prompt).

--
 - mdz