How can I get apt to use a proxy?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Sep 26 19:02:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:49:13PM -0500, Martin Maney wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 06:34:38PM +0000, Frank Merenda wrote:
>
> > Matt Zimmerman <mdz <at> canonical.com> writes:
> > > You might try passing http_proxy=http://yourproxy:3128 from the boot prompt
> > > (untested).
>
> Right, used at the second-stage boot that works around the lack of any
> chance to config it before it fetches (I misremembered, or have you
> released a boatload in the last couple days?) 170MB of packages.  Even
> with a pretty fast DSL line this is going to save me about twenty
> minutes later today.  :-)

There was a new openoffice version recently, which would account for nearly
all of that 170MB figure. :-)  It's usually best to grab the most recent
daily CD in preparation for a new install, to avoid a big download later.
Using rsync to update an existing CD image is fairly painless, and saves
time later (when the system is unavailable).

--
 - mdz