NTFS module for Ubuntu kernel

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Sep 26 17:48:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 07:08:22PM +0200, r ve wrote:

> Anyway, on to the real reason for this message; I've noticed that the
> Ubuntu kernel doesn't contain support for reading (not writing) data from
> NTFS partitions. I can understand that people don't want a module that's
> not well known to keep things safe to go into the distribution so I don't
> have any complaints about that.

The standard kernel does in fact contain support for reading NTFS.

> So finally, here's my question: can someone on this list tell me about some
> way to get Ubuntu Linux to mount my NTFS partition (cat /proc/filesystems
> tells me that it's not supported) so I can quickly create backups (on CD)?
> I know I could probably rebuild the kernel with NTFS support, but the
> problem is that I cannot do large software builds because my hard disk
> freaks out when doing that (and Linux will show all I/O errors that mankind
> has ever known).

/proc/filesystems only shows filesystems which are already loaded and
active; NTFS support is already available.

mkdir /windows
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /windows

(replacing /dev/hda1 with the appropriate device) should work fine.

--
 - mdz