beeeep OFF/ON

Markus Kolb ubuntu-ml at tower-net.de
Sun Sep 26 16:47:28 UTC 2004

On 26.09.2004 18:12, KaZim wrote:
> I haven't tried this on Ubuntu, but it works on Redhat.
>
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/~forsberg/linux/beep-off.html
>
> Or perhaps theres something GUI for doing this?
>
> AK
> ===============================
> On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 16:25, Soren Hauberg wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>Sometimes when I use my laptop I get beeps from the PC-speaker. As an
>>example this happens when a PCMCIA card is detected (I think) on boot up.
>>Is there a way I can kill the beep with applying a hammer?

Disabe PC speaker support in kernel.
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.0/0696.html

The information at the above link from KaZim will only work for the
current shell in console or terminal.
So not e.g. with daemons which handle pcmcia cards.

I don't know if there is a simpler solution than reconfiguring and
recompiling the kernel.

cu
Markus