Can't start Gnome anymore after an upgrade

Francois Armand armand at iie.cnam.fr
Sun Sep 26 09:41:02 UTC 2004

Hello,

After having upgrade my new ubuntu (very good distro) yesterday, I have
a problem to start gnome : the ubuntu splash screen appears on the blue
background, but nothing else occurs. I mean that no one icon appears
under "ubuntu".
I think it's the same bug as explains in the message "Pb starting gnome
with a particular user" in archive list.

I try to remove .gnome* from my home but nothing change. I also try to
create a new user but he has the same problem. I even try to reinstall
gnome's packages. I eventually install xfce which works fine.

Thanks for your help.

PS : exuse me for my ugly english, I hope one can understand it...