Running netapplet on Ubuntu

Ryan Thiessen ryanthiessen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 23:05:15 UTC 2004

I am enjoying using Ubuntu quite a lot but was tad frustrated by the
lack of any tool to switch between wireless networks.  However, such a
tool exists in Debian Sid -- netapplet.  The netapplet program works by
using a daemon running as root and a notification area applet to allow
the user to switch between wired and wireless networks, and to input the
essid and wireless key which is great for roaming.  Screenshot of it in
action: (http://tech9.net/rml/log/2004082401).

I grabbed the package from Debian Sid, but it failed to install because
of the minor differences it has from the Ubuntu Warty prerelease. But it
was trivial to get the source and recompile a new .deb package against
the Ubuntu Warty dependencies.  I'm quite new to creating debian
packages, all I did was follow the instructions here
(http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-build.en.html#s-completebuild)
and rebuild the excellent package that the Debian maintainer already
built.

I don't know if I did it correctly or not, but I have successfully
installed my .deb package on two machines running Ubuntu.  My netapplet
package installed without any additional packages on a stock Ubuntu
Warty installation when I tried it, so if you want to check it out I've
uploaded it to my website at
http://ryanthiessen.com/uploads/netapplet_0.98.0-2_i386.deb -- as the
filename indicates, this is for i386 only.  If I've done something wrong
in my packaging, please let me know, and if someone more trustworthy
wants to rebuild and add it to their unofficial Ubuntu repository please
do so, it just takes a simple rebuild.

Cheers,
-Ryan Thiessen-