Hardware clock set to UTC could be most useful

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Sep 25 05:25:35 UTC 2004

Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> The hardware clock should always be set to UTC.  It just makes things
> simpler, especially for DST changes.  Unfortunately, this is another example
> of Windows being fundamentally broken and everyone else having to work
> around it.

This sounds like the desirable setting to me as well.  Someone with a laptop
and a GPS (global positioning system, for those who don't know) unit on it (or
in it) could set their hardware clock to UTC and then each account could have
an offset.  This way multiple people could simultaneously use the laptop and
each have a correct time of day.  The GPS unit would work for the user logged
into the console -- their timezone (and thus their offset from UTC) would be
determined by their physical location in real time without any effort on their
part.