Intermittent crash early in boot up - kernel oops?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at
Fri Sep 24 23:47:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 03:37:12PM +0200, Raphaël Berbain wrote:

> Morgan Collett <morgan-ubuntu at> writes:
> >
> I have seen this one on my very first Ubuntu boot after the install -
> not something that builds confidence, I can tell you :-).  I wasn't
> able to reproduce it.  My Ubuntu machine might not be the most
> reliable around, hardware-wise, so I attributed that to flaky
> hardware.  Boot is a stressful time for any system.  I haven't seen it
> ever since, but then I only booted maybe 2/3 times.

This is (part of):

The immediate cause has been removed in current Warty, but depending on the
order of your upgrade, the change may not be incorporated in your initrd.
You can run:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`

to regenerate the initrd to ensure that you have the fix.  It will also be
made effective the next time your kernel is upgraded.

 - mdz