Install report

Stuart Bishop stuart at stuartbishop.net
Fri Sep 24 12:09:12 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>>- Setting up a tethered connection using the GUI tool worked, although
>>my nameserver was not picked up from DHCP. I needed to manually enter
>>the IP address in the DNS panel.
>

> That's odd.  What ended up in /etc/resolv.conf?

Empty file. Possibly the DHCP client doesn't like my DHCP server? (A
dlink DSL-504g)? I'll do some more tests after I've sent this.

>>- Closing the lid and opening it shows the screen saver has kicked in,
>>or sometimes shows nothing but a flashing cursor that requires a power
>>cycle
>

> The former is normal, the latter is not.

I'll try it a few times to see what the percentages are (and if I can do
it reliably by, for instance, closing and opening it quickly).

>>- Gaim notification sound defaulted to 'system beep' which was most
>>annoying. Setting it to 'ESD' works, and rent-a-cat agrees.
>

> It should default to 'auto', which will find ESD if it's there.

Your right - it was defaulted to Automatic. Looks like Automatic is
using Arts, which makes no noise on this laptop. I think I must have set
it to System Beep because I didn't know what ESD or Arts where.

>>- Trying to add a timeserver using the 'Time and Date Settings' control
>>panel gives me the error message:
>>	'NTP support is not running. Please run NTP support in the system to
>>enable synchronization of your local time server with internet time
>>servers'.
>> I have no idea what 'run NTP support in the system' means, even though
>>it parses as English.
>
> I don't think "install the ntp-simple package" would be much better.

It makes more sense to me. The current message doesn't mention
installing anything. I gather this is probably pointless anyway for many
users, as ntpdate is run on boot.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/