X11 Forwarding, ssh

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Fri Sep 24 16:48:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:26:47PM -0400, Maurice F. Piller wrote:
> After installing ubuntu I found that I could not run X applications
> when logged into remote machines via ssh. This has always worked in
> the past with redhat/fedora boxes.
>
> After a while I found that I needed to edit my /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> file and add the following two lines to make it work:
>
> Host *
>    ForwardX11 yes

The ssh client doesn't forward X connections by default because doing so
opens you up to attacks by anyone controlling the server, and you should
be sure that you trust the server before doing this. I'm quite surprised
that Red Hat leave this setting on by default; I'd consider it a major
bug.

You can use 'ssh -X <host>' to enable it on a case-by-case basis.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]