Alps pointing device

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Sep 24 16:11:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:23:55PM +0100, Dan Alderman wrote:

> The patch is in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-driver-synaptics/alps.patch.gz.
> As far as I can tell it doesn't remove anything, just adds another
> module, but I'm not a patch expert so I'm not promising.

The comments in the patch give me the feeling that we should wait until
after the release to experiment with such a change.  Please file an
enhancement request in Bugzilla and we will look at this for Hoary.

> As for being stable.... I think so, but it makes you wonder why it's not
> there in the first place if the synaptics driver is?

The xfree86 synaptics driver does not require changes to the kernel, while
this patch does.

--
 - mdz