Automated security updates

Tristan Rhodes tristan at witenko.com
Fri Sep 24 15:33:00 UTC 2004

Greetings,

Is it a good idea to schedule automated updates from the security repository only?  If so, how is
this done (perhaps cron)?

I would like to setup a client's server so that it performs automatic updates without any
interaction.  Will the security updates ever require user input?  And how likely are they to break
something?

I would also like to be able to upgrade the system when I am present.  I guess I could edit the
sources.list everytime I worked on the server, to allow updates of other packages.  Then when I
leave I could change it back to security repositories only.

Isn't there a better way to do this?

Tristan Rhodes