Ctrl-click = mouse_button3 ... WORKS!!

massimo max at maximumdebian.org
Fri Sep 24 08:22:41 UTC 2004

At last i have found the way to have the shortcuts like under osx.

The best solution is to install mouseemu from here:

http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/linux-ppc/debian/mouseemu/

(mouseemu is part of ubuntu? )

now edit /etc/default/mouseemu like this:
MID_CLICK="-middle 125 272"    # Command- click
RIGHT_CLICK="-right 29 272"    # Control-click
SCROLL="-scroll 56"            # Alt key + mouse move up and down
TYPING_BLOCK="-typing-block 300" # block mouse for 300ms after a
keypress

now:

 /etc/init.d/mouseemu restart

End! now ctrl-click is mapped mouse button3 and command-click is mouse
button 2. Pressing Alt and moving up or down the mouse (or your finger
in the trackpad) oyu have a fast scroll.
Note that the trackpad will be disabled after 300 ms after a keypress in
order to prevent accidental errors writing.

Note2: this work for me in a tiboo with spanish keyboard. i don't know
if key 29 is the same for another model of mac. You can have a complete
list of your system, switching to the console as root ad write:

 showkeys -m > your_keymap.txt

Note3: i write to the developer of this tool and he told me:
> MID_CLICK="-middle 0 68"
> RIGHT_CLICK="-right 0 29"
> SCROLL="-scroll 56"
> TYPING_BLOCK="-typing-block 300"
>
> but actually, ctrl button is mapped to button2 without the clic of
> mouse.

You have to put the modifier (Ctrl) as first parameter, and the "key" id
of the left click as second parameter, like in:
-right 29 272

I hope that this, can help, and that this package can be inserted in
ubuntu and managed from laptop-mode.

regards
MaX

keywords for google:
mouseemu, button2 button3 mouse command control osx apple finder
F11 F12 key keyboard emulate modifier MacOS