Ubuntu affecting Windows XP clock

Paul Sladen sounder at paul.sladen.org
Thu Sep 23 18:43:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Timothy Van Meir wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:13:44 -0500, Timothy Van Meir <tvanmeir at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Whenever I log out of Ubuntu and boot up Windows, the clock
> > is [..] consistently 5 hours ahead,
> >
> > I'm in the US Central time zone, if that makes any difference.

US Central time is currently 5hours behind UTC/GMT.

> I did a belated search, and it appears that at least one other person
> has had this problem:

Linux stores the true time in the Real-time clock and keeps track of your
timezone as an offset.  Unfortunately, on PC systems, Windows stores
localtime in the computer's Realtime Clock (RTC).

One solution to this is to leave the RTC in localtime and have Linux adjust
the time when reading or writing it.

There isn't really a good solution, but something will probably be
introduced as a work-around if there's also a copy of Windows on the system.

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  Nottingham, GB