Enabling Samba in Ubuntu.

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Thu Sep 23 17:18:40 UTC 2004

hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 23.09.2004, 09:44 -0400 schrieb Bud Manz:
> Hi, all!
>

> New Ubuntu user here, I use RH FC2 one of my on my other machines,
> other than that, I don’t have much Linux exp.  In RH, to turn a
> service on, you use # service smb…, in SuSE, you use # chkconfig …,
> how do you do it in Ubuntu?

to start a service like samba on ubuntu you type:

sudo /etc/init.d/samba start

i attached a very basic (and not very secure) smb.conf,
fill in your host and username , do:

sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.bak
create a dir called Export in your home
and copy the attaced/modified file to /etc/samba/smb.conf

everything you copy to your Export dir will then be visible to the
M$ world after starting samba.

ciao
	oli

------ very basic initial smb.conf (in /etc/samba/) -------