No cd/floppy install?

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at canonical.com
Thu Sep 23 15:41:30 UTC 2004

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/warty/main/daily-installer-i386/current/images/netboot/

|> configure your bootloader to use them.
|>
|> Reboot into them and if the netcard is recognized you can go
|> further and complete the installation.
|
| I downloaded vmlinuz and initrd.gz from the above link and added
| the following to lilo.conf:
|
| image  = /boot/vmlinuz_ubuntu initrd = /boot/initrd_ubuntu.gz root
| = /dev/hda1 label  = "ubuntu" read-only
|
| ran lilo, rebooted, and selected "ubuntu". Then I got something
| like

| And then a black screen and nothing happens.
|
| Did I do something wrong or....

You need to add:

append="DEBCONF_PRIORITY=high vga=normal ramdisk_size=10240
root=/dev/rd/0 init=/linuxrc devfs=mount,dall rw"

or something similar.. I don't remember exactly the lilo sintax.

Fabio

- --
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error
log.
<user> fajita: step two
<fajita> When in danger or in doubt, step two is to scream and shout.