Smartlink modem driver

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at
Thu Sep 23 13:33:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 12:05 +0100, Mary Gardiner wrote:

> There's a free implementation included somewhere in those files: I don't
> know whether it is mature enough to include with the kernel
> distribution. This modem seems to be fairly commonly included with
> Centrino laptops.

The kernel-space driver for PCI devices is included as an ALSA driver in
recent versions of the 2.6 kernel. It should already be being loaded
automatically. However, I'm not aware of a free userspace implementation
- there's awkward patents on most of the usefully fast modem protocols.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at