Login problem

Al Simcoe alsimcoe at alsimcoe.com
Wed Sep 22 22:02:07 UTC 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 5:36 PM, Markus Kolb wrote:

> On 22.09.2004 23:15, Al Simcoe schrieb:
>
>> The splash screen appears quite small on my 23 inch
>> monitor, So small that I can not read the tiny text on the screen.
>> There is a blank field there which I **Guess* is for my user name
>> that I setup during the installation.
>> When I input the "user name" I set up during the installation and
>> hit "enter", nothing happens.
>> 1. Should the "Splash Screen" appear that small?
>> 2. What can I do about the login problem?
>
> First enter user name <ENTER>
> enter password <ENTER>
> then gnome is starting.
>
> Why it is so small on your 23 inch display? I don't know.
> Can you check /etc/X11/XF86config-4
> Maybe you have an LCD and there is a too low resolution for your
> display? So it displays the small X resolution with its standard
> resolution...
>
> But I think this field for username, password and description is
> always too small. I have 1024x768 resolution and I think if it would
> be a higher resolution I could not read it, too.

Ok, I can now login, thanks.

On the size issue, maybe I did not explain properly.

The size of my Splash Graphic is also the same size as the Desk Top.

On my 23 inch LCD screen, the desktop is in the middle of this rather
large
screen and measures only:

	61/2 inches wide
	5 inches high

How can I get Ububtu or X to display at a lower resolution,
or, Fill my screen?

This is unusable.

Al Simcoe