ubuntu in a powerbook 15" (1.25G alubook)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Wed Sep 22 14:26:22 UTC 2004

Hi Julio!

On 2004-09-21 15:06 +0200, Julio Herrero wrote:
> Great work Ubuntu! thanks!
>
> I have just installed ubuntu on a 15" powerbook from a CD image. The
> installation was fine but there are some errors in /var/log/dmesg:
> [...]
>
> -- Thermal assist unit not available

Indeed, this is a serious bug. On my iBook G4, the module
therm_adt746x must be loaded, which controls the CPU fan. Without this
module, the fan is never enabled, even if the CPU gets very hot.

I will file a bug about this.

> pbbuttonsd:
>
> -- The eject key does not work.

Try keeping it pressed for four or five seconds. This delay is
configurable in /etc/pbbuttons/pbbuttonsd.conf (EjectCDKeyDelay).
Debian sid has a nice gui for this stuff (powerprefs); unfortunately
it is not included in Warty, but you can install it from universe.

> -- The LCD autoadjust facility  does not work. Brightness remains the
> same all the time.

You can also set this up in powerprefs, or in the config file.

> -- Keyboard illumination does not work.

Don't know, my iBook does not have such fancy things.

> Sound:
>
> -- I can play audio CDs ok with totem, but not with
> the CD player. The program runs, but there is no sound.

Did you already try to adapt the mixer settings for the CD-ROM?

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer            http://www.ubuntulinux.org