Contribution to universe [Was: Ubuntu mono packages]

Mark Shuttleworth mark at hbd.com
Wed Sep 22 11:09:28 UTC 2004

I think it's important to expand universe as much as possible during
this time. Please don't wait for Hoary to open up, let's get anything
good into universe now, because we will be deluged with requests for it
post-release if we don't, and people will end up running half-warty
half-hoary systems, which will be a mess.

We've unblocked the kde builds which solved many of the requests. Let's
make sure we've unblocked any other universe builds, and accept any
other submissions for universe from users who have done the work to make
the packages happen. For warty the process can be absolutely simply:

  - user makes updated source package available
  - user documents that package on a wiki page
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UniverseCandidates
  - James reviews licence and submits package for build

Yes, we'll want something more rigorous for Hoary, but I think we should
get this in for warty now, or put up with a lot of WTF? reactions in a
month's time.

--
Ubuntu! Building a Desktop OS for the 21st century. www.ubuntulinux.org
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/