Install ati and Now Can't change resolution....

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Wed Sep 22 03:10:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 23:00 -0400, Tom Hilbert wrote:
> Hello, I followed the steps from the wiki binary install link and
> after a restart went to the
> system configuration>>screen resolution  menu to change from the
> 1600X1200 that is now running back to a more reasonable 1260x960 and a
> higher refresh.  I received this note:
>
> "The X Server does not support the XRandR extension.  Runtime
> resolution changes to the display size are not available."
>
> What are my options?
> Run xf86config from terminal??  That never seems to work for me in the past.

The ATI drivers (and probably the Nvidia ones, but I haven't tried them)
don't support XRandR, which is a special dynamic resizing extension for
X, so you won't be able to use that screen resolution dialogue.

Best thing to do is:

  sudo vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Find the "Display" subsections down the bottom, and edit the list of
Modes in each of them. Put your preferred resolution at the beginning of
the line.

- Jeff

--
Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/           Ubuntu!