3D and Nvidia

Kevin kjkrum at comcast.net
Wed Sep 22 02:42:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 22:02 -0400, Lee wrote:
> What do I need to do to get 3d working? As well as glx?

OK, I found this FAQ:

http://wiki.ubuntulinux.org/BinaryDriverHowto

It's partially bogus, though.  This are the steps I followed:

1. Run the command 'sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx'.

2. Run the command 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'.  Select the
nvidia driver in the first screen. Go through the rest of the screens,
keeping all the defaults, until you get to the modules. Disable GLCore.
Also, the modules glx and dri* should be enabled (and they probably
already are). Finish the configuration by again choosing all the
defaults. You have now updated /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

* = Every other site I have read says dri should NOT be enabled.  But I
followed these directions and it seems to work.

3. Edit /etc/modules, and add 'nvidia' (without the quotes) on its own
line.

4. Run the command 'sudo modprobe nvidia'.

5. Hit ctrl-alt-backspace to restart the X server.  You should see the
nVidia splash screen.

Krum