/usr on USB

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Wed Sep 22 00:09:11 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:34:51PM +0800, John wrote:
>

>>Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>

>>>hotplug runs after /usr is mounted, so that's one reason this won't work
>>>out
>>>of the box.
>>>

>>then hotplug and everything it needs should not be in /usr.
>>
>>http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE2
>>You cann;ot "boot, restore, recover, and/or repair the system" without /usr.
>>

>My interpretation would be "you cannot put /usr on a hot-plugged device",
>which seems equally sane.

I booted with the drive in place. It's no more transient than, say, an
NFS mount. The network might go away, just as some twit might pull the
drive out.

It should no more problematic than booting from USB.

As you said the other day, "shooting yourself in the foot is optional."

Oh, I think Hot Plug won't cope with an nfs mount for /usr either.

People really do that sort of thing.